(Or yikes I need to get stuff typed up and posted)
In Which I Add Some Diphthongs
Diphthongs, or as wikipedia tells us also called gliding vowels, were something I left for later on day three. Here are the put off decisions on dipthongs:
- A full dipthong should be pronounced with the length of a long vowel.
- A list of diphthongs (The "̯ " symbol says that the second vowel is not syllabic):
- au /aʊ̯/ as in loud or lout
- ai /aɪ̯/ as in high
- ou /oʊ/ as in goat or code
- ei /eɪ̯/ as in face or vein
- ? /ʌɪ̯/ as in light
- That ? is that I'm now trying to decide how to represent the ʌ, preferably with something that can be easily typed.
(Note: Hey, it turns out you can use markdown to format posts on Dreamwidth by simply making the very first line "!markdown". Now we'll find out how that shows up when crossposting...)
Languary Day One
- Here's the post that started it all, Languary create the core of a conlang in January
- And the Languary Guidelines
Looking back at 2015 there were lows and highs:
- I got a health wakeup call. Early in the year my doctor shared blood test results in which my numbers had generally improved in various categories. Then at my next visit my weight was up to a record high and my numbers were the worst I've had. Not good, especially considering family medical history. Since then I have been making an effort to reverse this. I have my weight back down to where it was in 2014 and I'm going to work to get it lower still.
- I enjoyed what may be my last conventions for a bit. In retrospect they really weren't good for my budget, even considering that I didn't get a hotel room for Phoenix ComiCon, just going to a convention means temptations to spend money at nearly every turn. Looking forward I just can't afford that in 2016.
- Which brings up money in general. 2015 was not a good year economically. I have made essentially zero economic progress this past year. While I have reduced spending in some areas that's been matched by the car payments that started in 2014 (thank you once again for dying before I was ready Malibu, it will be some time before I even consider a GM car again) and the cost of guitar lessons. At least both of those have their perks. The new(er) car is nicer than the Malibu and I'm enjoying learning guitar.
- One of my primary job tasks at work has pretty much evaporated. The good news is that work is seeing this as an opportunity for me to grow into new things rather than an opportunity to reduce their payroll expenses.
- I got rid of a great deal of clutter at the tail end of 2014 and early this year. I opened up boxes that hadn't been touched since moving out of my parents home and got rid of a great many things. Old computers that hadn't been booted up for years, several disk boxes of 5 1/4 inch floppies as I haven't even seen a drive for those in years, and a great many books (I now have substantial store credit at the local used books and stuff store).
- We changed the arrangement of the furniture in the apartment and the new layout *works*. Combined with decluttering the apartment feels much more spacious than before.
- I poked at some setting creation but did less writing than in 2014. That said some of that poking may bare fruit in 2016.
- I dropped Flight Rising for various reasons. For a bit that was taken up with the Marvel Puzzle Quest app, but I haven't been doing as much of that either. I didn't do any forum RPs that I can recall in 2015.
- Had encounters with mortality, coworkers lost family and just this month saw the aftermath of a fatal car/pedestrian accident. Once more I am reminded that you should tell your friends and family that you care for them because you never know when they will be taken away.
- Flubbed Trope Bingo. But... I haven't yet actually closed any of my bingo cards, anyone wants to leave a prompt for one feel free to do so.
- Speaking of prompts, one of them put an interesting turn of evens into the Jayce & Izzy stories. Thanks Lyn! And thank you to everyone who left a writing prompt at a call.
Looking ahead to 2016:
- I managed a bit over 62K words of fiction in 2015, down from a touch over 100K words in 2014. My word count goal for 2016 will be to beat 2015's word count.
- Speaking of writing goals, in addition to word count I want at least one completed novella or some linked short stories. I have a few ideas percolating away...
- Do some more prompt calls. I'm looking back at prior results and really like some of the results that came out of them.
- I mentioned I'm taking guitar lessons, right? I've reached the point where the sounds I make are almost musical. :) I've also reached the point where if my budget forces me to drop my lessons I should still be able to make progress on my own. That said I think the guy I'm going to for lessons is worth the money. I plan to keep going this year.
- I think I really need to find a supplemental source of income. Even a modest bit would do a lot to improve my budget. Lottery tickets don't count.
- Slowly making changes to my diet. For instance I'm snacking on air popped pop corn while I write this instead of chocolate. Over 2016 I need to add in some other improvements.
- I want to add in some more art, both sketching and digital. On the digital end Inkscape and Scribus for art and design and learning more HTML/CSS.
- I think I might do another Seven Days of RPG Characters again. I did that in 2013 and it was fun. Created seven characters and a setting at the same time.
- Speaking of RPs, get into a play-by-post or email RP again. I miss doing that.
- I'm going to aim to also finish the Aldersprig & KC 30 Days of Flash Fic prompts (only 14 left).
- Also I want to get back to Unquiet Past and finish it as well.
- Run a 5K before the year is out. An official 5K race or simply going out and doing 5K. I think my one knee will probably be happier about this goal if I knock some more pounds off first.
- And speaking of exercise, build up my arm strength enough to do a chin up again. Hey, another spot where taking some pounds off will help. :)
1) Get kidnapped by evil aliens who put me to work in the microchip slave mines of Tau Ceti IV. Exposure there to the mysterious Chemical X will perfect my body as well as give me superpowers with which to defeat the evil aliens and return home. So far the aliens have declined to kidnap me. :(
2) Exercise more and eat less. Until I get the chance to implement method one I am giving this one a try. I'm down 14 pounds since September, so I guess it's an acceptable substitute until superpowers. :} I'm using a combination of Google Fit for step tracking & app linking, Runkeeper for outdoor activity tracking, a Withings scale for automated weight tracking and charts, and MyFitnessPal for tracking what I eat and calorie budgeting. Note, if you want to do the same I started one app at a time and made it a habit before adding the next. I am now predicted to reach goal weight in November 2016 if I maintain my current progress. So again, I suppose it's an acceptable standby until superpowers.
So why post this? A long way of saying, "Feel free to poke me from time to time and ask how I'm doing fitness-wise."
Fandom/'verse: Unnamed Colony, Pre-Western Civil War
Summary: Jayce from Family Politics and a few other short pieces, a few months later (ack! Old writing! Must resist urge to shred and rewrite!)
Triggers/Warnings: MC has a slave, mention of spanking and implications worse has happened to others
Note: Overdue entry for Trope Bingo 2015 trope Accidental Baby Acquisition (Considering they're now taking entries for the next round of Trope Bingo it's way overdue). Came out longer than I expected.
Words: Thousandish words
Jayce closed his eyes and sighed. When he opened his eyes nothing had changed. It never worked even if he'd really hoped wishing would work this time. Giving up he called his Aunt Gladys's extension and watched the little candy striped disc spin while he waited for an answer.
Earlier at mid-day...
Great Aunt Gladys called him into her office then left him standing by her desk while she continued to sift through paper and computerized reports. When she finally waved towards the chair in front of her desk and invited him to sit the clock his augments kept in the corner of his vision said more than a quarter hour had passed.( Continues under the cut... )
The process is simple, below is a bingo card. Look over the squares and for a trope that catches your interest. Reply to the original post here on Dreamwidth or the crosspost on LiveJournal with a prompt involving that trope. Prompts can be fanfic for things I've shown an interest in, go with settings or stories I've previously posted, or stand on their own. I will then write at least 100 words towards the prompt. If I complete a row or column we all get to share a cheer. If the whole card is completed we get to share a bonus cheer.
Key for card indications: When I receive a prompt I will put the used trope in brackets (you can still prompt on it, but unprompted squares will get the writing time priority). If a square gets more than one prompt I will italicize that square's text. If for some reason I decide to stop taking prompts to a square I will set the text to be crossed out. When I write a response to a prompt I will put a link to the response in the square. I reserve the right to reject a prompt if I find that it is something that bothers me (never needed to do this so far -- that is not a challenge).
New: I haven't done this before but unexpected car expenses are unexpected and annoying... If you would like to see a response to a prompt continued I may be willing to trade words of your own writing or $5/300 words. That said, if you want to help out with car expenses do check out Lucy Weaver's July Prompt Call, as I highly suspect wheel baring repairs cost more than a new set of cheap tires. If you do paid prompt for Weaver I will offer an additional 100 words towards a prompt you give me.
|mistletoe kiss||slavefic||au: historical||[accidental baby acquisition]||au: apocalypse|
|amnesia||au: cop/detective||au: were/vamp/supernatural||snowed in||road trip|
|au: all-human||day at the beach||WILD CARD||au: college/highschool||wingfic|
|de-aged||food porn||huddle for warmth||secret twin/doppelganger||fake relationship|
|au: space||mind control||animal transformation||handcuffed/bound together||au: steampunk|
A short bit in which Tonya is dismayed to discover the empty mountain cabin is not as empty as she'd hoped.
( Click here to see how schoolgirls can still scare our mutant electromancer. )
|Pre-Western Civil War:
|How does slavery work?
|What's the style of government, if anything?
|What's the tech level?
This setting shows up in four pieces from back in 2011 (content warnings: slavery, some violence, and serious-need-of-rewritingness):
* Family Politics, in which a young man wakes to find himself a prisoner.
* Izzy, a follow up to the previous piece from the viewpoint of the slave of the previous viewpoint character.
* The Talk, wherein Jayce decides Izzy needs The Talk.
* The Next Morning, which sees Jayce and Izzy having to deal with another change.
Content note: Involves question about both government and slavery within a setting and answers to said questions.
Political note: Yes, the founders of the colony claimed to be pushing for a conservative libertarian structure. Please note the word claimed in that sentence.
( Nearly 2000 words, click here to see the rest... )
Links that may be helpful:
* My Landing Page and (out of date) writing index
* Tags for two prompt calls: Goals and Achievements & Rebirth, Renewal, and Rediscovery
* Three Word Wednesday and Thimbleful Thursday tags
* And the ever popular writing tag
Fandom/'verse: A school for people with super powers
Summary: Exploring a potential setting by writing a bit to it. Enter Rae, and return of Margarete.
Prompter: See above
Triggers/Warnings: Some fighting, grumpiness about family
Note: Editing, what's that? Exploring a setting and characters. Fizzles out at the end
Words: 1650 words
The beginning of the prior school year
Rae's old school hadn't had anything like the common room of Ocotillo Hall. It was like a laid back version of the library study rooms. Or maybe if you brought the cafeteria's outdoor seating indoors. A few tables were pushed over to the walls allowing for a wobbly loop of chairs to circle much of the space. Finally a girl with the tips of her hair dyed red stepped out into the circle. Rae recognized her from moving in the evening before, Margaret had been running back and forth half the time with a younger girl towed behind her with a stunned expression.
"Gather around newbies! It's time to start Ocotillo Hall's annual hazing ritual!"
"Margarete!" A short black haired boy stared at her from across the room. "Ixnay."
"Just a little hazing? Fine. Since Derek is being a spoilsport we can just go straight to introductions before we raid the food tables. Who wants to start?"( Continues under cut, click here to continue... )
Fandom/'verse: A school for people with super powers
Summary: Exploring a potential setting by writing a bit to it
Prompter: See above
Triggers/Warnings: Mention of deaths but no real details
Note: Only lightly edited. Exploring a setting and characters
Words: 2342 words
Staff Meeting: One Month Prior to Classes
"The next item for discussion," Franklin set aside the previous folder and grimaced as he opened the next. "Eagle from the Bay City Guardians is calling in a marker. He's seeking an enrollment for Vickie Valente and before you ask, yes, that is as in the late an unlamented Doc Despair Vincent Valente."
( Continues under the cut, click here to read )
* Poking at a new character, a superhero using the name Chaparral Racer (as in Chaparral Bird, another name for a Roadrunner).
** I'm also getting the feeling this character goes either in the newest of my three supers settings (how did I end up with three?) or in ysabetwordsmith's Terramagne.
** Chaparral's also already undergone a change of power while figuring him out.
* Breaking down boxes like some sort of anti-box vigilante, bwahahaha :p There's something cathartic about slicing through the tape and unfolding the box back to a compact flat shape.
* Pondering getting rid of more stuff.
** Have to check if the T.H.E.M. library is still a thing and see if some of the books can go there.
** More to go off to the local used book megastore and library donation bin as well.
** I've actually now got an official To Read shelf! (which consists of three shelves, all double rowed)
* Weight. Yeah. Not giving up on getting weight down, even if that seems to have stalled.
* I seem to have replaced Flight Rising with Marvel Puzzle Quest. A match-three-or-more tiles game with story lines and a character collecting/leveling element.
** Always have to giggle when taking down Iron Man with Squirrel Girl.
* 3:30 AM. Nope, not believing that, can't actually be 3:30 AM. I think I'll get some sleep anyway.
This was in fact the early origin for Mourning Dead Gods (and the follow on Face the Music) as Kitree and Charles's son is one of the children she regularly watches.
So why am I bringing this up? Reading some recent posts by dialecticdreamer and ysabetwordsmith has me itching to pull out Truth & Justice once more and dust off these characters. The posts in question: Hero or Villain, Build a Better Villain, part one, part two, and part three. The three part Build A Better Villain follows from an initial idea to working out how this character ends up crossing the line to become a villain. And adding later: Responsibility, even for villains?
Fandom/'verse: Random science fiction setting, follows Coup Warning
Summary: Lind meets one of her fellow coup plotters
Prompter: aldersprig's Thimbleful Thursday Prompt for 8 January 2015; Mad As A Hatter
Triggers/Warnings: Set amidst a coup, on screen death
Note: Trying something new, going to see if I can link all five of January's prompts
Words: 440 words (of a target 360-440 words)
"Junior Vice Manager of Security Lind, or should I call you Chairman of the Faeland Colony Corporation Lind now?"
Lind gave him a smile and shook her head, "No, Manager of Headquarters Security and Safety Dimarzo, Vice Chair of Security is sufficient to do my duty. But what about you, does Vice Manager of Security Dimarzo sound good? You were after all one of the first to warn of the corruption." She watched closely and whatever his words she could see the greedy hunger in his eyes.( click here to continue reading )
Fandom/'verse: Random (probably) science fiction setting
Summary: A board meeting is interrupted by announcement of a coup
Prompter: aldersprig's Thimbleful Thursday Prompt for 2 January 2015; Out With The Old, In With The New
Triggers/Warnings: Set amidst a coup
Note: Barely revised, posting shortly after completing. Trying something new, going to see if I can link all five of January's prompts
Words: 547 words (of a target 450-550 words)
"Thank you Eldridge, the chair now calls on Senior Manager Onida for the food production and..." Chairman Ellington and the board looked up as the boardroom doors opened and Junior Vice Manager of Security Lind entered along with what seemed to be half the office security staff.
"Mister Chairman, members of the board, I must ask for you cooperation in evacuating to the emergency shelter."( Click here to continue reading... )
01. Your Name:
02. Your age:
03. Male, Female, other, or not saying:
04. Favorite Film:
05. Favorite Song or Album:
06. Favorite Band/Artist:
07. Dirty or Clean:
08. Tattoos and/or Piercings:
09. Do we know each other outside of LJ?
10. What's your philosophy on life?
11. Is the bottle half-full or half-empty?
12. Would you keep a secret from me if you thought it was in my best interest?
13. What is your favourite memory of us?
14. What is your favourite guilty pleasure?
15. Tell me one odd/interesting fact about you:
16. You can have three wishes:
17. If it were possible would you want to hang out with me sometime? (Pretty sure I just asked everyone on my LJ out on a date..)
18. Which country is your spiritual home?
19. What is your big weakness?
20. Do you think I'm a good person?
21. What was your best/favourite subject at school?
22. What kind of cologne or perfume do you wear?
23. If you could change anything about me, what would it be?
24. What do you wear to sleep?
25. Trousers or skirts?
26. Caffeine or nicotine?
27. If I only had one day to live, what would we do together?
28. Will you repost this so I can fill it out for you?
I now have a wiki up at lex1.lilfluff.com for the game to take place on. Right now it's the absolute bare bones (literally installed, given a title, and an admin account created) but more is coming, and quite soon. Three cheers for dokuwiki, once my ISPs nameservers finally believed the subdomain existed I was able to do the basic setup in bare minutes.
So now we just need a final roll call of who is interested in playing and whether we want to go with the default default rules or variant rules. The Rule of X looks like a good optional rule to pull in.
Note: To avoid wikivandals the server isn't set up to allow open registration. Accounts will be created for those who are participating.